About this book
This book explores the complexities of the recreational summer camp experiences and its reliance on the expertise and emotion work of young people. Drawing on post-structural theory, Baker illustrates the discourses, power relations and emotional demands that shape camp counsellor employment experiences and well-being.
Through analysis of everyday experiences and interactions, Baker unpicks the power nexus between counsellors, campers, peers and camp management, offering a deeper understanding of camp counsellor employment and the challenges for camp employees and employers. As such, this book raises a call for camp researchers and industry leaders to engage in rethinking how camp counsellor roles are understood, shaped and embodied, and how they might be ethically supported through reflexive management practices.
Becoming and Being a Camp Counsellor will be of interest to scholars and students across the fields of leisure, outdoor recreation, youth studies, and sociology.
- Book Title Becoming and Being a Camp Counsellor
- Book Subtitle Discourse, Power Relations and Emotions
- Series Title Leisure Studies in a Global Era
- Series Abbreviated Title Leisure Studies in a Global Era
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-32501-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Education Education (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-32500-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-32503-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-32501-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 271
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Sociology of Education
Sociology of Sport and Leisure
Sociology of Work
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“Becoming and Being a Camp Counsellor will be of interest to seasoned camp scholars, university students, and curious others eager to look beyond arts and crafts and evening campfire songs to expand their understanding of the camp counsellor experience. … Becoming and Being a Camp Counsellor is an insightful, thought-provoking, and novel investigation of the recreational summer camp experience. … This text would be most appropriate for upper-level courses in baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate programs.” (Robert P. Warner, Journal of Outdoor and Environmental Education, Vol. 23, 2020)