About this book
This book is a comparative corpus-based study of discourse markers based on verbs of saying in English and French. Based on a wide comparable web corpus, the book investigates how discourse markers work in discourse, and compares their differences of position, scope and collocations both cross-linguistically and within single languages. The author positions this study within the wider epistemological background of the French-speaking ‘enunciative’ tradition and the English-speaking ‘pragmatic’ tradition, and it will be of particular interest to students and scholars of semantics, pragmatics and contrastive linguistics.
Laure Lansari is Associate Professor at Paris Diderot University, France, where she teaches English/ French contrastive linguistics and translation.
contrastive analysis speech markers verbs of speech web corpus definition categorisation enunciation computer-mediated communication affiliation topical transition pragmaticalisation grammaticalisation turn-taking approximation
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-24896-3
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-24895-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-24896-3
- Buy this book on publisher's site