Table of contents
About this book
This book provides a critique of the way in which European citizenship is imagined and practiced. Setting their analysis in its full historical context, the authors challenge preconceived ideas about European citizenship on the basis of a detailed reconstruction of political, social and economic practice. In particular, they show the extent to which the elimination of formal internal borders within Europe has come hand in glove with the emergence of new socio-economic boundaries and the hardening of external borders. The book concludes with a number of concrete proposals to forge a genuinely post-national form of membership.
Agustín José Menéndez is Lecturer at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain, and Visiting Researcher, ARENA, University of Oslo, Norway. He is co-author of The Constitution’s Gift (with J.E. Fossum, 2011). He was chief editor of theEuropean Law Journal (2013-2018).
Espen D. H. Olsen is Senior Researcher, ARENA – Centre for European Studies, University of Oslo, Norway. He is the author of Transnational Citizenship in the European Union: Past, Present and Future (2012).
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-22281-9
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-22280-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-22281-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site