About this book
This book serves as both a primer to astronomical polarimetry and an authoritative overview of its application to various types of astronomical objects from AGN, compact stars, binary systems, stars across the HR diagram, transients, the interstellar medium and solar system bodies. It starts with an historical perspective, a discussion of polarimetric theory, instrumentation and techniques in wave bands from the near infrared to gamma rays.
The book presents the state of the art in astronomical polarimetry. It is motivated by the new X-ray polarimeters due to be launched in the next four years and improved optical polarimeters on large telescopes requiring a new analysis of polarimetric theory, methodology and results.This book will be suitable as advanced undergraduate companion text, a primer for graduate students and all researchers with an interest in astronomical polarimetry.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Astronomical Polarisation from the Infrared to Gamma Rays
- Series Title Astrophysics and Space Science Library
- Series Abbreviated Title Astrophysics, Space Sci.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19715-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-19714-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-19717-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-19715-5
- Series ISSN 0067-0057
- Series E-ISSN 2214-7985
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXI, 393
- Number of Illustrations 50 b/w illustrations, 76 illustrations in colour
Astronomy, Observations and Techniques
Astrophysics and Astroparticles
Solar and Heliospheric Physics
- Buy this book on publisher's site