Table of contents
About this book
This hands-on textbook/reference presents an introduction to the fundamental aspects of modelling and simulation, both for those wishing to learn about this methodology and also for those who have a need to apply it in their work. The text is supported by illustrative examples, drawn from projects formulated within the domains of discrete-event dynamic systems (DEDS) and continuous-time dynamic systems (CTDS).
This updated new edition has been enhanced with new illustrative case studies, and additional examples demonstrating some new features and the effectiveness of the ABCmod conceptual modelling framework. Changes that facilitate the development of simulation models with ABSmod/J are illustrated. New material includes a presentation of the experimentation strategy called “design of experiments” and three new chapters that explore the optimization-simulation interface.
Topics and features:
- Presents a goal-based and project-oriented perspective of modelling and simulation
- Describes the ABCmod framework, an activity-based conceptual modelling framework for DEDS
- Examines the simulation-optimization interface in both the CTDS and DEDS domains
- Provides numerous illustrative examples, case studies and useful algorithms, as well as exercises and projects at the end of most chapters
- Includes appendices on probability and statistics, the GPSS programming environment, and relevant MATLAB features
- Provides supplementary software and teaching support material at an associated website, including lecture slides and a methodology for organizing student projects
Serving as an essential guide to the foundations of modelling and simulation, this practical primer is ideal for senior undergraduate and junior graduate-level students. Also suitable for self-study, the book will be of great benefit to professionals seeking insight into the vast potential of this rapidly evolving problem-solving paradigm.
Louis G. Birta is Professor Emeritus at the University of Ottawa, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Gilbert Arbez is an Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, at the University of Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- Book Title Modelling and Simulation
- Book Subtitle Exploring Dynamic System Behaviour
- Series Title Simulation Foundations, Methods and Applications
- Series Abbreviated Title Simulation Foundations, Meth., Applicat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-18869-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-18868-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-18871-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-18869-6
- Series ISSN 2195-2817
- Series E-ISSN 2195-2825
- Edition Number 3
- Number of Pages XVIII, 551
- Number of Illustrations 298 b/w illustrations, 31 illustrations in colour
Simulation and Modeling
Mathematical and Computational Engineering
Computational Science and Engineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site