Table of contents
About this book
This book describes the sequencing efforts for Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss), one of the most versatile tropical evergreen tree species. The neem tree is a source of various natural products, including the potent biopesticide azadirachtin and limonoids, which have a broad spectrum of activity against insect pests and microbial pathogens. To identify genes and pathways in neem, three neem genomes and several transcriptomes are studied using next-generation sequencing technologies.
Neem has been extensively used in Ayurveda, Unani and homoeopathic medicine and is often referred to as the ‘village pharmacy’ by natives due to its wealth of medicinal properties.
Besides the description of the genome, this book discusses the neem microbiome and its role in the production of neem metabolites like salanin, nimbin and exopy-azadirachtin under in vitro conditions. It also highlights cell and tissue culture using various neem explants including the leaf, root, shoot, cambium, etc.
whole genome sequencing molecular mapping of genes Azadirachta indica neem oil non-pesticidal management medicinal plant pest and disease control biopesticide azadirachtin neem tree
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16122-4
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-16121-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-16122-4
- Series Print ISSN 2199-4781
- Series Online ISSN 2199-479X
- Buy this book on publisher's site