About this book
This engaging textbook provides an accessible introduction to coding and the world of Object-Oriented (OO) programming, using Java as the illustrative programming language. Emphasis is placed on what is most helpful for the first-time coder, in order to develop and understand their knowledge and skills in a way that is relevant and practical. The examples presented in the text demonstrate how skills in OO programming can be used to create applications and programs that have real-world value in daily life.
Topics and features:
- Presents an overview of programming and coding, a brief history of programming languages, and a concise introduction to programming in Java using BlueJ.
- Discusses classes and objects, reviews various Java library objects and packages, and introduces the idea of the Application Programming Interface (API).
- Highlights how OO design forms an essential role in producing a useful solution to a problem, and the importance of the concept of class polymorphism.
- Examines what to do when code encounters an error condition, describing the exception handling mechanism and practical measures in defensive coding.
- Investigates the work of arrays and collections, with a particular focus on fixed length arrays, the ArrayList, HashMap and HashSet.
- Describes the basics of building a Graphical User Interface (GUI) using Swing, and the concept of a design pattern.
- Outlines two complete applications, from conceptual design to implementation, illustrating the content covered by the rest of the book.
- Provides code for all examples and projects at an associated website.
Dr. Kingsley Sage is a Senior Teaching Fellow in Computing Sciences in the Department of Informatics at the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK, and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA). He has more than 20 years of teaching experience, from the level of further/continuing education through to postgraduate-level teaching, in both traditional university teaching and adult education.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-13304-7
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-13303-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-13304-7
- Series Print ISSN 1863-7310
- Series Online ISSN 2197-1781
- Buy this book on publisher's site