About this book
This volume investigates the contemporary fauna that inhabit the Cuatro Ciénegas Basin. Divided into 15 chapters, it addresses and describes their diversity, taxonomic and biogeogaphic affinities, and ecological characteristics.
The Cuatro Ciénegas Valley is a unique oasis in the south-central region of the State of Coahuila, part of the Sonoran Desert, in Mexico. Several clues, specially derived from the study of the microbiota, suggest a very ancient origin of the valley and its permanence through time. This condition had promoted a high level of endemism and led to unique interactions between the resident species.
Desert Fauna Desert Biogeography Freshwater Introduced Fishes Desert Endemism Ecological networks
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11262-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-11261-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-11262-2
- Series Print ISSN 2523-7284
- Series Online ISSN 2523-7292
- Buy this book on publisher's site