About this book
Japan has a rich history of human spaceflight, flying in space with both NASA and the Soviet/Russian space agencies over the years. This book tells the story of the JAXA astronauts who have visited the International Space Station and how they have lived on board, helped construct the space laboratory and performed valuable scientific experiments.
JAXA has contributed the largest single module to the ISS: the Kibō (Hope) science laboratory with its Logistics Module, Exposed Facility and robot arm. JAXA supplies the station with cargo and supplies on its automated cargo spacecraft, the H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV), but it is the human endeavour that captures the imagination. From brief visits to six-month expeditions, from spacewalking to commanding the Earth’s only outpost in space, JAXA astronauts have played a vital role in the international project.
Extensive use of colour photographs from NASA and JAXA depicting the experiments carried out and the phases of the ISS construction, together with the personal stories of the astronauts’ experiences in space, highlight the crucial part the Japanese have played in human spaceflight.
Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency Japanese Spaceflight JAXA Astronauts Japanese ISS Contribution History of ISS ISS Missions Soyuz missions NASA and JAXA interactions Japanese work on spaceflight non-USA commanders ISS founding members
- Book Title Japanese Missions to the International Space Station
- Book Subtitle Hope from the East
- Series Title Springer Praxis Books
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Praxis Books(formerly: Springer-Praxis Series)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-04534-0
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-04533-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-04534-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIV, 311
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 149 illustrations in colour
Popular Science in Technology
Aerospace Technology and Astronautics
Space Sciences (including Extraterrestrial Physics, Space Exploration and Astronautics)
History of Japan
- Buy this book on publisher's site