About this book
This book primarily focuses on rigorous mathematical formulation and treatment of static problems arising in continuum mechanics of solids at large or small strains, as well as their various evolutionary variants, including thermodynamics. As such, the theory of boundary- or initial-boundary-value problems for linear, quasilinear elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic partial differential equations is the main underlying mathematical tool, along with the calculus of variations. Modern concepts of these disciplines as weak solutions, polyconvexity, quasiconvexity, nonsimple materials, materials with various rheologies or with internal variables are exploited.
This book is accompanied by exercises with solutions, and appendices briefly presenting the basic mathematical concepts and results needed. It serves as an advanced resource and introductory scientific monograph for undergraduate or PhD students in programs such as mathematical modeling, applied mathematics, computational continuum physics and engineering, as well as for professionals working in these fields.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-02065-1
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-02064-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-02065-1
- Series Print ISSN 1860-6245
- Series Online ISSN 1860-6253
- Buy this book on publisher's site