Table of contents
About this book
This book is dedicated to the consolidation and to the expansion of theoretic systems thinking as a necessary integration of the general reductionist and analytical attitude dominant in our culture. Reductionism and analytical approaches have produced significant results in many fields of contemporary knowledge giving a great contribution to relevant scientific discoveries and to their technological application, but their validity has been improperly universalized as the only and best methods of knowledge in every domain. It is nowadays clear that analytical or mereological approaches are inadequate to solve many problems and that we should introduce – or support the diffusion of - new concepts and different research attitudes.
A good candidate to support such a shift is the well known theoretical approach based on the concept of “system” that no more considers the elementary constituents of an object, but the entity emerging from the relations and interactions among its elementary parts. It becomes possible to reconstruct several domains, both philosophical and scientific, from the systemic point of view, introducing fresh ideas in the research in view of a general rational vision of the world on more comprehensive basis.
This book contributes to the diffusion and evolution of systemic thinking by focusing on two main objectives: developing and updating the systemic approach in disciplines currently using it and introducing the systemic perspective in humanistic disciplines, where the approach is not widely used. The Systemic Turn in Human and Natural Sciences: A Rock in the Pond is comprised of ten chapters. The chapter authors adopt a trans-disciplinary perspective, consisting in the recognition and harmonization of the special outlooks that together, within the general systemic paradigm, gives an ideal unity to the book.
System Theory Systemic Thinking Epistemology Systemic Organization Cerebral Dynamics Reductionism Robustness Emergence Philosophy of Mind
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title The Systemic Turn in Human and Natural Sciences
- Book Subtitle A Rock in The Pond
Lucia Urbani Ulivi
- Series Title Contemporary Systems Thinking
- Series Abbreviated Title Contemp.Systems Thinking
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00725-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Business and Management Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-00724-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-00725-6
- Series ISSN 1568-2846
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXI, 205
- Number of Illustrations 4 b/w illustrations, 14 illustrations in colour
Operations Research/Decision Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site