About this book
This book examines the diagnostic overlap and frequent confusion between the newly named DSM-5 diagnostic categories of neurodevelopmental disorders (NDDs), which include autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and trauma and stressor related disorders (TSRDs). These conditions are similar in that a) children with developmental disorders are particularly vulnerable to traumatic events and b) all have pervasive effects on the brain and development. Chapters provide a wealth of effective clinical, family, and school-based interventions, developed from established studies and important new findings. In addition, chapters use illustrative case studies to survey assessment challenges in today’s healthcare climate and consider alternative routes for improving correct diagnoses, identifying appropriate interventions, and referring proper targeted, evidence-based treatment and services. The book concludes with the editors’ recommendations for needs-based service access, including a more widespread use and acceptance of the Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) and the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health (ICF) framework.
Topics featured in this book include:
- The neurobiological contributors to posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs) and its diagnosis in children with a history of trauma.
- Interventions for trauma and stressor-related disorders in preschool-aged children.
- Reactive attachment disorder (RAD) and autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosis and care in a cultural context.
- Special population consideration in ASD identification and treatment.
- Challenges associated with the transition to adulthood.
- Trauma and neurodevelopmental disorders from a public health perspective.
Trauma, Autism, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders is a must-have resource for researchers, clinicians and related professionals, and graduate students in developmental psychology, child and adolescent psychiatry, public health, social work, pediatrics, and special education.
Autism spectrum disorder and mental health services Differential diagnosis of TSRD and ASD Differential diagnosis of trauma and neurodevelopmental disorder Disinhibited social engagement disorder Mental health service crisis Mental health service shortage Neurobiology of trauma and neurodevelopmental disorder Neurodevelopmental disorders and trauma Neuropsychological assessment of PTSD Neuropsychological assessment of TSRD Neuropsychological assessment of traumatic stress Posttraumatic stress and mental health services Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) Reactive attachment disorder Trauma and autism spectrum disorder Trauma and neurodevelopmental disorders Trauma and mental health services Trauma and stressor related disorder (TSRD) Traumatic stress and neurodevelopmental disorder TSRD and transition to adulthood
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00503-0
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-00502-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-00503-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site