Table of contents
About this book
Pervasive computing (also referred to as ubiquitous computing or ambient intelligence) aims to create environments where computers are invisibly and seamlessly integrated and connected into our everyday environment. Pervasive computing and intelligent multimedia technologies are becoming increasingly important, although many potential applications have not yet been fully realized. These key technologies are creating a multimedia revolution that will have significant impact across a wide spectrum of consumer, business, healthcare, and governmental domains.
This useful volume provides up-to-date and state-of-the-art coverage of the diverse topics related to pervasive computing and intelligent multimedia technologies. The use of different computational intelligence-based approaches to various problems in pervasive computing are examined, including video streaming, intelligent behavior modeling and control for mobile manipulators, tele-gaming, indexing video summaries for quick video browsing, web service processes, virtual environments, ambient intelligence, and prevention and detection of attacks to ubiquitous databases.
Topics and features:
- Includes a comprehensive overview, providing a thorough literature review and an outline of the important research challenges
- Discusses pervasive computing approaches in the context of intelligent multimedia
- Examines virtual reality technology, mobile virtual environments, and the potential use of intelligent multimedia and ubiquitous computing in the hotels of the future
- Describes various approaches in ambient intelligence for home health care for the elderly and those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, for volcano monitoring, and for preventing attacks to ubiquitous databases
- Investigates issues in web services and situation awareness in pervasive computing environments
- Explores wireless network applications, such as mobile agents and e-commerce
This textbook/reference is an invaluable resource for researchers, postgraduate and senior undergraduate students, and practitioners involved in pervasive computing, intelligent multimedia, and computational intelligence.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84882-599-4
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-84882-598-7
- Online ISBN 978-1-84882-599-4
- Series Print ISSN 1617-7975
- Buy this book on publisher's site