Table of contents
About these proceedings
Manufacturing systems and technology stand on a new frontier, facing up to the challenges posed by the ever-evolving requirements of global sustainability. Value-creation is taking its place alongside more traditional production-process priorities.
Collected here are over a hundred papers concerned with all manner of new directions in manufacturing systems and given at the 41st CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems. The high-quality material presented in this volume includes reports of work from both scientific and engineering standpoints and several invited and keynote papers addressing the current cutting edge and likely future trends in manufacturing systems. Among others, the book’s subjects include:
• new trends in manufacturing systems design: sustainable design, ubiquitous manufacturing, emergent synthesis, service engineering, value creation, cost engineering, human and social aspects of manufacturing, etc.;
• new applications for manufacturing systems – medical, life-science, optics, NEMS, etc.;
• intelligent use of advanced methods and new materials – new manufacturing process technologies, high-hardness materials, bio-medical materials, etc.;
• integration and control for new machines – compound machine tools, rapid prototyping, printing process integration, etc.
Manufacturing Systems and Technologies for the New Frontier is a valuable source of knowledge and a good basis for future work for researchers, scientists engineers and managers in industries interested in manufacturing technologies and will also be a useful source of reference for graduate students of manufacturing.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84800-267-8
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-1-84800-266-1
- Online ISBN 978-1-84800-267-8