About this book
Reverse engineering is the process of discovering the technological principles of an object or component through analysis of its structure and function. Such analysis can then be used to redesign the object very quickly using computer-aided design in concert with rapid-manufacturing processes to produce small numbers of components adapted to the needs of a particular customer. This way of working has huge benefits of speed and flexibility over traditional mass-production-based design and manufacturing processes.
This edited collection of essays from world-leading academic and industrial authors yields insight into all aspects of reverse engineering:
• The methods of reverse engineering analysis are covered, with special emphasis on the investigation of surface and internal structures.
• Frequently-used hardware and software are assessed and advice given on the most suitable choice of system.
• Rapid prototyping is introduced and its relationship with successful reverse engineering is discussed.
• Importantly, legal matters surrounding reverse engineering are addressed as are other barriers to the adoption of these techniques.
• Applications of reverse engineering in three significant areas: automotive; aerospace; and medical engineering are reported in depth.
Reverse Engineering is a "must have" title for anyone working with advanced modern manufacturing technologies, either with a view to researching and improving them further or to making their company leaner and more agile in a competitive manufacturing marketplace.
The Springer Series in Advanced Manufacturing publishes the best teaching and reference material to support students, educators and practitioners in manufacturing technology and management. This international series includes advanced textbooks, research monographs, edited works and conference proceedings covering all subjects in advanced manufacturing. The series focuses on new topics of interest, new treatments of more traditional areas and coverage of the applications of information and communication technology in manufacturing.