About this book
This book explores the methionine dependence of cancer and its effects on aging, a great story of science that is not widely known. The chapters in this book describe the discovery of methionine dependence of cancer; the molecular basis for the increased methionine demand of cancer cells and tumors; the clinical application of methionine dependence of cancer in PET imaging with [11C]methionine; the development of methioninases as cancer drugs; the anti-aging and anti-diabetes effects of methionine restriction; and the future of targeting methionine in the body for the elimination of cancer and for the extension of a healthy life-span. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular Biology series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls.
Cutting-edge and thorough, Methionine Dependence of Cancer and Aging: Methods and Protocols is an important resource for researchers and scientists wishing to pursue this exciting and vital area of study."
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-8796-2
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Humana Press, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Springer Protocols
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-8795-5
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-8796-2
- Series Print ISSN 1064-3745
- Series Online ISSN 1940-6029
- Buy this book on publisher's site