Table of contents
About this book
This handbook addresses the educational uses of mindfulness in schools. It summarizes the state of the science and describes current and emerging applications and challenges throughout the field. It explores mindfulness concepts in scientific, theoretical, and practical terms and examines training opportunities both as an aspect of teachers’ professional development and a means to enhance students’ social-emotional and academic skills. Chapters discuss mindfulness and contemplative pedagogy programs that have produced positive student outcomes, including stress relief, self-care, and improved classroom and institutional engagement.
Featured topics include:
- A comprehensive view of mindfulness in the modern era.
- Contemplative education and the roots of resilience.
- Mindfulness practice and its effect on students’ social-emotional learning.
- A cognitive neuroscience perspective on mindfulness in education that addresses students’ academic and social skills development.
- Mindfulness training for teachers and administrators.
- Two universal mindfulness education programs for elementary and middle school students.
The Handbook of Mindfulness in Education is a must-have resource for researchers, graduate students, clinicians, and practitioners in psychology, psychiatry, education, and medicine, as well as counseling, social work, and rehabilitation therapy.
Academic Achievement Adolescence Behavioral Disorders Child Development Compassion Conduct Disorders Contemplative Education Contemplative Practices Early Childhood Education Emerging Adults Emotion Regulation Intervention Mindfulness Mindfulness Education Pain Management Physician Training Self-regulation Social-Emotional Learning Stress Reduction Teacher Education
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-3506-2
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag New York 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-3504-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-3506-2
- Series Print ISSN 2195-9579
- Series Online ISSN 2195-9587
- Buy this book on publisher's site