Table of contents
About this book
The progression is a logical one: in keeping with an era noted for advances toward greater equality and an irreversible trend toward globalization--but also marked with bigotry, persecution, and environmental destruction-- psychology has developed the potential to heal large populations as well as individuals.
Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era describes the changes necessary to address the systemic problems affecting an increasingly distressed world. This path-breaking resource challenges readers to rethink the basic and implicit assumptions of psychology, reframing the field in terms of its responsibility as a healing science and force for social justice, and elucidates the context that makes this paradigm shift so necessary. Contributors analyze not only central issues shaping the field, but a practical framework for a redefined discipline, with concepts such as socially responsible inquiry and clinical practice, and strategies for working with like-minded communities and institutions toward key objectives, among them:
- Achieving a sustainable future.
- Developing clinical practice suited to a global community.
- Attaining global consciousness in the context of societal health.
- Overcoming racism, sexism, and poverty.
- Healing the causes of human suffering and environmental harm.
- Conceptualizing and actualizing justice restoratively.
- Achieving a psychology of nonviolence.
A volume with a clear moral vision, Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era is an affirmation of purpose and a call to action for psychologists to bring greater relevance to their profession towards building a shared just, humane and sustainable future
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-7391-6
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-7390-9
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-7391-6
- Series Print ISSN 1574-0455
- Buy this book on publisher's site