Table of contents
About this book
In recent years, research in K3 surfaces and Calabi–Yau varieties has seen spectacular progress from both the arithmetic and geometric points of view, which in turn continues to have a huge influence and impact in theoretical physics—in particular, in string theory. The workshop on Arithmetic and Geometry of K3 surfaces and Calabi–Yau threefolds, held at the Fields Institute (August 16–25, 2011), aimed to give a state-of-the-art survey of these new developments. This proceedings volume includes a representative sampling of the broad range of topics covered by the workshop. While the subjects range from arithmetic geometry through algebraic geometry and differential geometry to mathematical physics, the papers are naturally related by the common theme of Calabi–Yau varieties. With the large variety of branches of mathematics and mathematical physics touched upon, this area reveals many deep connections between subjects previously considered unrelated.
Unlike most other conferences, the 2011 Calabi–Yau workshop started with three days of introductory lectures. A selection of four of these lectures is included in this volume. These lectures can be used as a starting point for graduate students and other junior researchers, or as a guide to the subject.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-6403-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-6402-0
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-6403-7
- Series Print ISSN 1069-5265
- Series Online ISSN 2194-1564
- Buy this book on publisher's site