About this book
Based on a number of new discoveries resulting from 10 years of Chandra and XMM-Newton observations and corresponding theoretical works, this is the first book to address significant progress in the research of the Hot Interstellar Matter in Elliptical Galaxies. A fundamental understanding of the physical properties of the hot ISM in elliptical galaxies is critical, because they are directly related to the formation and evolution of elliptical galaxies via star formation episodes, environmental effects such as stripping, infall, and mergers, and the growth of super-massive black holes. Thanks to the outstanding spatial resolution of Chandra and the large collecting area of XMM-Newton, various fine structures of the hot gas have been imaged in detail and key physical quantities have been accurately measured, allowing theoretical interpretations/predictions to be compared and tested against observational results.
This book will bring all readers up-to-date on this essential field of research.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-0580-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-0579-5
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-0580-1
- Series Print ISSN 0067-0057
- Buy this book on publisher's site