About this book
The book develops a practical approach to public policy issues that have continued to be intractable because of a lack of emphasis on transcultural understanding. Sustained examples help to increase the readability and the accessibility of theory and methodology.
The key themes address the issue that:
-Management needs to be more systemic. Critical Systemic Praxis is the process whereby we find ways to work across discipline areas and sectoral areas, in order to address complex social, political, economic and environmental problems.
-The way we define and address problems depends on an ability to work with, rather than within knowledge areas.
-By introducing the notion of governance we can extend traditional management from an organisational context to an inter-organisational context and locate governance as the goal for sustainable social and environmental justice.
The core aspects of praxis are:
-Respectful listening and dialogue to set up appropriate contexts for participatory design.
-Participatory designs based on participatory action research to map tacit and explicit knowledge of participants (professional and ordinary citizens).
-Strategic decision making across discipline areas, cultural contexts and knowledge areas.
-Action learning to transfer the policy and practice learnings.
-Mainstreaming the approach to governance in the social, political, economic and environmental sectors.
- Book Title Critical Systemic Praxis for Social and Environmental Justice
- Book Subtitle Participatory Policy Design and Governance for a Global Age
- Series Title Contemporary Systems Thinking
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-8921-5
- Copyright Information Kluwer Academic / Plenum Publishers 2003
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-306-48074-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4613-4721-7
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4419-8921-5
- Series ISSN 1568-2846
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIX, 460
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Operations Research/Decision Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site