About this book
From its beginnings as the “talking cure,” psychotherapy has depended on the strength of the relationship between practitioner and patient. Today, this is particularly true of cognitive behavioral therapy, which requires skilled listening—understanding and processing the client’s complex personal narrative—as well as debating dysfunctional beliefs, suggesting new courses of action, and other forms of skillful speaking.
Communication in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy opens out the therapeutic possibilities for skillful speaking and listening for practitioners specializing in CBT, examining the theoretical and research base, and reviewing best-practice clinical methods and the evidence behind them. Illustrative examples of therapist-client dialogue and useful flow charts are included, highlighting exchanges that are precise, meaningful, and effective. And since the chapters are written to stand alone, readers can easily access answers to specific questions of content and technique.
Features of the coverage: • Communication during the assessment stage • Strengthening client involvement in the healing process • Building the therapeutic alliance in brief therapy • Clinical uses of non-verbal communication • Learner-centered strategies for improving communication skills • Qualitative and quantitative methods for analyzing communication in CBT • Plus disorder-specific chapters on treatment of anxiety, depression, and psychosis
Communication in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy brings valuable insights to clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and psychotherapists looking to gain new skills or sharpen existing ones, and also serves as an effective training manual.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Communication in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6807-4
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4419-6806-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4899-8237-7
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4419-6807-4
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 273
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site