About this book
OS X and iOS Kernel Programming combines essential operating system and kernel architecture knowledge with a highly practical approach that will help you write effective kernel-level code. You’ll learn fundamental concepts such as memory management and thread synchronization, as well as the I/O Kit framework. You’ll also learn how to write your own kernel-level extensions, such as device drivers for USB and Thunderbolt devices, including networking, storage and audio drivers.
OS X and iOS Kernel Programming provides an incisive and complete introduction to the XNU kernel, which runs iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Mac OS X servers and clients. Then, you’ll expand your horizons to examine Mac OS X and iOS system architecture. Understanding Apple’s operating systems will allow you to write efficient device drivers, such as those covered in the book, using I/O Kit.
With OS X and iOS Kernel Programming, you’ll:
- Discover classical kernel architecture topics such as memory management and thread synchronization
- Become well-versed in the intricacies of the kernel development process by applying kernel debugging and profiling tools
- Learn how to deploy your kernel-level projects and how to successfully package them
- Write code that interacts with hardware devices
- Examine easy to understand example code that can also be used in your own projects
- Create network filters
Whether you’re a hobbyist, student, or professional engineer, turn to OS X andiOS Kernel Programming and find the knowledge you need to start developing