About this book
This book presents novel formalizations of three of the most important medieval logical theories: supposition, consequence and obligations. In an additional fourth part, an in-depth analysis of the concept of formalization is presented – a crucial concept in the current logical panorama, which as such receives surprisingly little attention.
Although formalizations of medieval logical theories have been proposed earlier in the literature, the formalizations presented here are all based on innovative vantage points: supposition theories as algorithmic hermeneutics, theories of consequence analyzed with tools borrowed from model-theory and two-dimensional semantics, and obligations as logical games. For this reason, this is perhaps the first time that these medieval logical theories are made fully accessible to the modern philosopher and logician who wishes to obtain a better grasp of them, but who has always been held back by the lack of appropriate ‘translations’ into modern terms.
Moreover, the book offers a reflection on the very nature of logic, a reflection that is prompted by the comparisons between medieval and modern logic, their similarities and dissimilarities. It is thus a contribution not only to the history of logic, but also to the philosophy of logic, the philosophy of language and semantics.
The analysis of medieval logic is also relevant for the modern philosopher and logician in that, being the unifying methodology used across all disciplines at that time, logic really provided unity to science. It thus presents a unified model of scientific investigation, where logic plays the aggregating role.
- Book Title Formalizing Medieval Logical Theories
- Book Subtitle Suppositio, Consequentiae and Obligationes
- Series Title Logic, Epistemology, and The Unity of Science
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-5853-0
- Copyright Information Springer 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4020-5852-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-90-481-7458-4
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4020-5853-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 316
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site