About this book
Life After Residency: A Career Planning Guide is an insightful, step-by-step guide to achieving a successful and fulfilling career in medicine. As professors at Stanford University Medical Center, Drs. Melissa Berhow, William Feaster, and John Brock-Utne began running seminars to advise their residents not only on creating a curriculum vitae and landing a great job, but also on how to manage student loan payments and avoid pitfalls in the life of a physician. The immense success and ensuing demand for more seminars eventually gave rise to Life After Residency—a book which continues the seminar discussions in greater depth and magnitude, while maintaining a conversational writing style.
Other key topics covered include:
- Preparing for a job interview
- Evaluating job offers and negotiating contracts
- Obtaining and maintaining the proper State license
- How to apply for membership onto Medical Staffs
- Obtaining malpractice insurance
- Buying a house and investing for eventual retirement
- Advice for non-medical career options
Loaded with sage advice and practical wisdom, Life After Residency is an invaluable asset to every resident during the transition from residency to life thereafter.