About this book
School activities alone are not always sufficient to ensure children’s academic progress or socio-emotional development and well-being. And the time when many children typically have the least adult supervision – immediately after school – is also the time that they are at the highest risk to act as perpetrators or become victims of antisocial behavior.
Throughout A Blueprint for Promoting Academic and Social Competence in After-School Programs, which focuses on children in grades 1 through 6, noted experts identify the best practices of effective programs and pinpoint methods for enhancing school-based skills and making them portable to home and neighborhood settings. This volume:
- Analyzes the concepts central to effective after-school programs.
- Offers developmental, cognitive, and social ecology perspectives on how children learn.
- Features more than 100 exercises that develop young people’s capabilities for academic, social, moral, and emotional learning – These exercises are ready to use or can be adapted to students’ unique needs.
- Emphasizes young people’s development as students and as productive members of society during middle to late childhood and early adolescence.
- Presents explicit theory and evidence that can be used to explain the value of after-school programs for budget proposals.
This important book will find an appreciative, ready audience among the program directors who design after-school curricula, the educators who implement them, the mental health and social work professionals who help staff them, and the current crop of graduate students who will create the next generation of programs.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title A Blueprint for Promoting Academic and Social Competence in After-School Programs
Thomas P. Gullotta
Christianne F. Gullotta
Jennifer C. Messina
- Series Title Issues in Children’s and Families’ Lives
- Series Abbreviated Title Issues Children’s,Families
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-79920-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag US 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-387-79919-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4419-4643-0
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-79920-9
- Series ISSN 1572-1981
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XX, 236
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
Psychotherapy and Counseling
Medicine/Public Health, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site