Table of contents
About this book
Anxiety in Health Behavior and Physical Illness
Edited by Michael J. Zvolensky, University of Vermont
Jasper A. J. Smits, Southern Methodist University
While the links between physical illness and depression have been well-documented and analyzed, little has been made of the data relating physical illness to anxiety—until now. Anxiety in Health Behavior and Physical Illness explores complex relationships between medical and anxiety pathology on the theoretical, research, and practical fronts. Over forty experts examine reciprocal roles of anxiety and medical illness as causal or exacerbating factors in each other’s onset and development, describe forms of anxiety typical to major disease entities, discuss common health behaviors as they impact anxiety, recast anxiety disorders as chronic illness, and identify patients for whom new forms of treatment may be warranted.
Among the topics covered:
- Anxiety in the context of specific illness: heart disease, asthma, HIV/AIDS.
- Self-medication across the anxiety disorders: alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs.
- Possible links between anxiety and insomnia.
- The relationship between puberty and adolescent anxiety.
- Anxiety, anxiety disorders, and the menstrual cycle.
- Anxiety disorders and chronic pain.
- Current and emerging treatments for anxiety disorders, from CBT to exercise-based interventions.
Anxiety in Health Behavior and Physical Illness is a comprehensive resource to be read not only by clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and, other health professionals, but also by researchers and graduate students on the cutting edge of the field.
- Book Title Anxiety In Health Behaviors And Physical Illness
Michael J. Zvolensky
Jasper A. J. Smits
- Series Title Series In Anxiety and Related Disorders
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-74753-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-387-74752-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4419-2570-1
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-74753-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 380
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site