Table of contents
About this book
"It takes my worries away…it helps me unwind when I’m tense…"
Those with an anxiety disorder are at two to five times greater risk of having an alcohol or drug use disorder than those without an anxiety disorder. And although anxiety disorders are among the most common co-occurring conditions affecting people with substance issues, mainstream methods often fail to treat both halves of the picture.
Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: The Vicious Cycle of Comorbidity addresses this gap with dispatches from the frontlines of research and treatment. Thirty-four international experts offer findings, theories, and intervention strategies for this common form of dual disorder both across types of substances (alcohol, tobacco, street and prescription drugs) and the range of anxiety disorders (PTSD, social phobia, panic disorder, OCD) to give the reader comprehensive knowledge in a practical format. Informed by the reciprocal relationship between the two types of disorders (such as the contributions of substance abuse to anxiety-related symptoms), the book:
- Brings together neurobiological, psychosocial, and cognitive perspectives on its subject.
- Outlines theoretical models of co-occurring anxiety and substance abuse, its epidemiology, and etiology.
- Offers up-to-date research findings on the nature, origins, and treatment of specific combinations of substance use and anxiety disorders.
- Presents detailed reviews of emerging targeted treatment methods—including cognitive-behavioral, personality-based, and medical interventions—with latest data on their efficacy.
- Pinpoints future directions in understanding and treating the dually diagnosed.
This integrative approach makes Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: The Vicious Cycle of Comorbidity an important resource for all mental health professionals. It will also serve as an excellent clinical text.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders
- Book Subtitle The Vicious Cycle of Comorbidity
Sherry H. Stewart
- Series Title Series in Anxiety and Related Disorders
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-74290-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-387-74289-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4419-4492-4
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-74290-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXI, 276
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Buy this book on publisher's site