About this book
The study of how fish make and respond to sound has important implications for communication, physiology, behavior, and commercial techniques. Fish Bioacoustics, a new definitive volume on fish auditory systems, will interest investigators in both basic research of fish bioacoustics as well as investigators in applied aspects of fisheries and resource management. Topics cover structure, physiology, localization, and acoustic behavior as well as more applied topics such as using sound to detect and locate fish.
- Introduction to Fish Bioacoustics Richard R. Fay, Arthur N. Popper, and Jacqueline F. Webb
- Hearing and Acoustic Behavior (Basic and Applied) Arthur N. Popper and Carl R. Schilt
- Structures and Functions of the Auditory Nervous System of Fishes Richard R. Fay and Peggy L. Edds-Walton
- Evolution of Peripheral Mechanisms for the Enhancement of Sound Reception Christopher B. Braun and Terry Grande
- Bioacoustics and the Lateral Line of Fishes Jacqueline F. Webb, John Montgomery, and Joachim Mogdans
- Orientation to Auditory and Lateral Line Stimuli Olav Sand and Horst Bleckmann
- Multipole Mechanisms for Directional Hearing in Fish Peter H. Rogers and David G. Zeddies
- Vocal-Acoustic Communication: From Neurons to Behavior Andrew H. Bass and Friedrich Ladich
- Active and Passive Acoustics to Locate and Study Fish David A. Mann, Anthony D. Hawkins, and J. Mike Jech
About the editors:
Jacqueline F. Webb is Professor of Biological Sciences, and Coordinator of the Marine Biology Program, at the University of Rhode Island, Kingston. Richard R. Fay is Director of the Parmly Hearing Institute and Professor of Psychology at Loyola University of Chicago. Arthur N. Popper is Professor in the Department of Biology and Co-Director of the Center for Comparative and Evolutionary Biology of Hearing at the University of Maryland, College Park.
About the series:
The Springer Handbook of Auditory Research presents a series of synthetic reviews of fundamental topics dealing with auditory systems. Each volume is independent and authoritative; taken as a set, this series is the definitive resource in the field.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-73029-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-73028-8
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-73029-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site