About this book
Praise for George Francis's A Topological Picturebook:
Bravo to Springer for reissuing this unique and beautiful book! It not only reminds the older generation of the pleasures of doing mathematics by hand, but also shows the new generation what ``hands on'' really means.
- John Stillwell, University of San Francisco
The Topological Picturebook has taught a whole generation of mathematicians to draw, to see, and to think.
- Tony Robbin, artist and author of Shadows of Reality: The Fourth Dimension in Relativity, Cubism, and Modern Thought
The classic reference for how to present topological information visually, full of amazing hand-drawn pictures of complicated surfaces.
- John Sullivan, Technische Universitat Berlin
A Topological Picturebook lets students see topology as the original discoverers conceived it: concrete and visual, free of the formalism that burdens conventional textbooks.
- Jeffrey Weeks, author of The Shape of Space
A Topological Picturebook is a visual feast for anyone concerned with mathematical images. Francis provides exquisite examples to build one's "visualization muscles". At the same time, he explains the underlying principles and design techniques for readers to create their own lucid drawings.
- George W. Hart, Stony Brook University
In this collection of narrative gems and intriguing hand-drawn pictures, George Francis demonstrates the chicken-and-egg relationship, in mathematics, of image and text. Since the book was first published, the case for pictures in mathematics has been won, and now it is time to reflect on their meaning. A Topological Picturebook remains indispensable.
- Marjorie Senechal, Smith College and co-editor of the Mathematical Intelligencer