Optical network design and modelling is an essential issue for planning and operating networks for the next century. The main issues in optical networking are being widely investigated, not only for WDM networks but also for optical TDM and optical packet switching. This book contributes to further progress in optical network architectures, design, operation and management and covers the following topics in detail:
- Routing strategies and algorithms for optical networks;
- Network planning and design;
- Wavelength conversion and wavelength assignment in optical networks;
- Technologies for optical networks (transport, access and local area networks);
- Transmission aspects in wide area optical networks;
- New paradigms for traffic modelling.
This book contains the selected proceedings of the Second International Working Conference on Optical Network Design and Modelling, which was sponsored by the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP), and held in February 1998, in Rome, Italy.
This valuable new book will be essential reading for personnel in computer/communication industries, and for academic and research staff in computer science and electrical engineering.