About this book
Microfluidics for Biological Applications provides researchers and scientists in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and life science industries with an introduction to the basics of microfluidics and discusses how to link these technologies to various biological applications at the industrial and academic level. Readers will gain insight into a wide variety of biological applications for microfluidics.
The book begins with a perspective on the history and development of microfluidic technologies, followed by an overview on how microfluidic systems have been used to study and manipulate specific classes of components, including a discussion of specific biological applications of microfluidics and concludes with a discussion of emerging trends in the field. Microfluidics for Biological Applications provides information about the latest techniques and trends including:
- Fabrication methods for microfluidic devices, including those using biodegradable materials
- Use of microfluidics for high throughput screening
- Microfluidic methods for detection of pathogens in diagnostic and biodefense applications
- Analysis and manipulation of DNA, proteins, and cells in a microfluidic device
- Use of microfluidic platforms for tissue engineering and vascularization
Microfluidics for Biological Applications is an ideal reference for researchers and practicing engineers, as well as graduate students who are either entering the field for the first time, or those already conducting research and who want to expand their knowledge in the area of microfluidics.