About this book
The field of sleep medicine is growing rapidly, and the clinical pharmacology of sleep is gaining much attention from sleep physicians. Many new drugs are in the process of being developed and tested for their possible usefulness in the treatment of sleep disorders. The opportunity for further advancement in this field is very promising.
This volume covers the clinical and pharmacological treatment of several important sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless legs syndrome, and periodic limb movement syndrome. It further addresses the use of sleep medications in children, adolescents, and in the elderly. It offers a comprehensive overview of the currently available hypnotic medications and covers aspects of chronopharmacology and its implications for the pharmacology of sleep. It also reviews the basic science of sleep and sleep disorders, and thus the potential development of new pharmacological approaches.
The book will be useful for physicians, psychopharmacologists, psychiatrists, sleep disorder specialists and other healthcare professionals such as nurses, social workers and graduate medical students.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Clinical Pharmacology of Sleep
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/3-7643-7440-3
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Verlag 2006
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser Basel
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-7643-7262-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-7643-7440-2
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 239
- Number of Illustrations 6 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Medicine/Public Health, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site