About this book
Absolute values and their completions -like the p-adic number fields- play an important role in number theory. Krull's generalization of absolute values to valuations made applications in other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, possible. In valuation theory, the notion of a completion has to be replaced by that of the so-called Henselization.
In this book, the theory of valuations as well as of Henselizations is developed. The presentation is based on the knowledge acquired in a standard graduate course in algebra. The last chapter presents three applications of the general theory -as to Artin's Conjecture on the p-adic number fields- that could not be obtained by the use of absolute values only.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-30035-X
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2005
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-24221-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-30035-9
- Series Print ISSN 1439-7382
- Buy this book on publisher's site