Table of contents
About this book
In February 2004, the WHO Regional Office for Europe and the European Environment Agency organized an expert meeting to exchange information and develop recommendations on public health and environmental responses to weather and climate extremes, floods, heat-waves and cold spells. The meeting was kindly hosted by the Ministry of Health of Slovakia. The meeting recommendations were adopted at the Fourth Ministerial Conference on Environment and Health, Budapest, Hungary, 2004.
This book reflects a collection of case studies and experiences of experts, ministries and international organizations. It gives an overview of various topics, such as:
- Will climate change alter climate variability?
- The 2003 European heat-wave
- The health impacts of temperature extremes
- Public health responses to temperature extremes
- The health impacts of floods
- Case studies on health system responses to extreme events