About this book
The present book is a collection of essays exploring some classical dimensions of mind both from the perspective of an empirically-informed philosophy and from the point of view of a philosophically-informed psychology.
In the last three decades, the level of interaction between philosophy and psychology has increased dramatically. As a contribution to this trend, this book explores some areas in which this interaction has been very productive – or, at least, highly provocative.
The interaction between philosophy and psychology can be of different kinds. For example, psychology can be the subject for philosophy of science. In such a case, the philosopher of science pursues the usual set of issues (explanation, reduction, etc.) within the special case of psychology. Or, philosophy can be the source of proposals for improving psychology. Vice versa, the findings of psychology can be used to criticize philosophical theories and suggest ways to resolve some traditional philosophical questions about the mind, such as the nature of mental representation, perception, emotion, memory, consciousness and free will.
The chapters in this book reflect these different forms of interaction in an effort to clarify issues and debates concerning some traditional cognitive capacities. The result is a philosophically and scientifically up-to-date collection of "cartographies of the mind".
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Cartographies of the Mind
- Book Subtitle Philosophy and Psychology in Intersection
Mario De Caro
- Series Title Studies in Brain and Mind
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/1-4020-5444-0
- Copyright Information Springer 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4020-5443-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-90-481-7370-9
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4020-5444-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 374
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Philosophy of Mind
Philosophy of Science
- Buy this book on publisher's site