Low Cost Alcoholic Breath Sensor Based on SnO2 Modified with CNTs and Graphene
- 34 Downloads
In this work, SnO2 modified with reduced graphene oxide (rGO) and carbon nanotubes (CNTs) separately and combined sensitized by using the co-precipitation method and their sensing behavior toward ethanol vapor at room temperature were investigated. An interdigitated electrode (IDE) gold substrate is very expensive compared to a fluorine doped tin oxide (FTO) substrate; hence, we used the latter to reduce the fabrication cost. The structure and the morphology of the studied materials were characterized by using differential thermal analyses (DTA) and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), transmission electron microscope (TEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, Brunauer-Emmett-Teller surface area and Barrett-Joyner-Halenda (BJH) pore size measurements. The studied composites were subjected to ethanol in its gas phase at concentrations from 10 to 200 ppm. The present composites showed high-performance sensitivity for many reasons: the incorporation of SnO2 and CNTs which prevents the agglomeration of rGO sheets, the formation of a 3D mesopourus structure and an increase in the surface area. The decoration with rGO and CNTs led to more active sites, such as vacancies, which increased the adsorption of ethanol gas. In addition, the mesopore structure and the nano size of the SnO2 particles allowed an efficient diffusion of gases to the active sites. Based on these results, the present composites should be considered as efficient and low-cost sensors for alcohol.
KeywordsGas sensor Ethanol Carbon nano-materials FTIR Thermal analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. W. Cheong and M. J. Lee, J. Ceram. Process. Res. 7, 183 (2006).Google Scholar
- M. Arvani, H. M. Aliha, A. A. Khodadadi and Y. Mortazavi, Sci. Iran. C 24, 3033 (2017).Google Scholar
- C. Marichy, P. A. Russo, M. Latino, J. P. Tessonnier, M. G. Willinger, N. Donato, G. Neri and N. Pinna, J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 19729 (2013).Google Scholar
- S. S. Varghese, S. H. Varghese, S. Swaminathan, K. K. Singh and V. Mittal 4, 651 (2015).Google Scholar
- M. Morsy, M. Helal, M. El-Okr and M. Ibrahim, Der Pharma Chem. 7, 139 (2015).Google Scholar
- S. Xu, F. Sun, S. Yang, Z. Pan, J. Long and F. Gu, Sci. Rep. 5, 1 (2015).Google Scholar