Virtual monochromatic imaging in dual-source and dual-energy CT for visualization of acute ischemic stroke
- 30 Downloads
We have recently developed a phantom that simulates acute ischemic stroke. We attempted to visualize an acute-stage cerebral infarction by using dual-energy Computed tomography (DECT) to obtain virtual monochromatic images of this phantom. Virtual monochromatic images were created by using DECT voltages from 40 to 100 keV in steps of 10 keV and from 60 to 80 keV in steps of 1 keV, under three conditions of the tube voltage with thin (Sn) filters. Calculation of the CNR values allowed us to evaluate the visualization of acute-stage cerebral infarction. The CNR value of a virtual monochromatic image was the highest at 68 keV under 80 kV / Sn 140 kV, at 72 keV under 100 kV / Sn 140 kV, and at 67 keV under 140 kV / 80 kV. The CNR values of virtual monochromatic images at voltages between 65 and 75 keV were significantly higher than those obtained for all other created images. Therefore, the optimal conditions for visualizing acute ischemic stroke were achievable.
KeywordsDual-energy CT Acute ischemic stroke Virtual monochromatic imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Hara, H. Muraishi, T. Inoue, S. Abe, H. Satoh and Y. Nakajima, IFMBE Proc. 39, 831 (2012).Google Scholar
- H. Hara, T. Inoue and Y. Nakajima, The St. Marianna Med. J. 39, 9 (2010).Google Scholar
- H. Hara, H. Muraishi, H. Matsuzawa, T. Inoue, S. Abe, H. Satoh and Y. Nakajima, Jpn. J. Med. Phys. 33, 124 (2013).Google Scholar
- H. Hara, H. Muraishi, T. Inoue, S. Abe, H. Satoh and Y. Nakajima, AOCMP Proc. 6, USB4 (2011).Google Scholar
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke rt-PA Study Group, N Engl. J. Med. 333, 1581 (1995).Google Scholar
- C. Tanaka, T. Ueguchi, E. Shimosegawa, N. Sasaki, T. Johkoh, H. Nakamura and J. Hatazawa, AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 27, 40 (2006).Google Scholar
- T. Johnson, C. Fink, S. O. Schonberg and M. F. Reiser, Dual Energy CT in Clinical Practice (Springer, New York, 2011).Google Scholar