Development of (Gd, 6Li)-loaded organic liquid scintillators for reactor neutrino detection
- 88 Downloads
This paper describes in detail the metal-loaded liquid scintillator (LS) that was developed for use in reactor neutrino experiments. Two different organic base solvents, linear alkyl benzene (LAB) and diisopropylnaphthalene (DIN), are used to synthesize the liquid scintillator. Gadolinium (Gd) or lithium (6Li) is loaded into the organic liquid scintillators. A solvent-solvent extraction method was developed to load Gd into LS, and in the case of 6Li, a suitable surfactant was found and was applied. In this study, the optical and the physical properties of the LS were investigated, and the results summarized in this report, including the transmittance, emission spectra, light yield, pulse shape discrimination, and water concentration.
KeywordsGadolinium (Gd) Lithium (6Li) Base organic solvent Optical properties Pulse shape discrimination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Pipke, V. Novikov and W. Moser, Nucl. Instr. Meth A 432, 392 (1999); V. F. Sears, Neutron News 3, 3 (1992); C. Aberle, C. Buck, F. X. Hartmann and S. Schönert, Chem. Phys. Lett. 516, 257 (2011); P. K. Lightfoot, V. A. Kudryavtsev, N. J. C. Spooner, I. Liubarsky, R. Luscher and N. J. T. Smith, Nucl. Instr. Meth A 522, 439 (2004).CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- J. S. Park, S. B. Kim, J. S. Lee, B. C. Kim, S. H. Kim and K. K. Joo, New Phys. 58, 62 (2009).Google Scholar
- F. Boehm et al., (Palo Verde collaboration), Phys. Rev. D 62, 072002 (2000); F. Boehm et al., (Palo Verde collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 3764 (2000).Google Scholar
- F. P. An et al. (Daya Bay collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 171803 (2012); Y. Abe et al. (Double Chooz collaboration), Phys. Rev. D 86, 052008 (2012); J. K. Ahn et al. (RENO collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 191802 (2012); I. S. Yeo et al., J. Korean Phys. Soc. 64, 3 (2014); C. D. Shin and K. K. Joo, Adv. in High Ener. Phys. 2014, 320287 (2014).CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- S. H. So, K. K. Joo, B. K. Kim, S. C. Kim, C. D. Shin and I. S. Yeo, Adv. in High Ener. Phys. 2014, 327184 (2014).Google Scholar
- I. R. Barabanov et al., (MetaLS and LVD collaboration), JINST 5, P04001 (2010).Google Scholar