A RESURF LDMOSFET with a dummy gate on partial SOI
In this paper, we propose a laterally double-diffused metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (LDMOSFET) that uses a dummy gate on top of the lightly-doped drain (LDD) region in a reduced surface field (RESURF) structure. The structure is based on the partial silicon-on-insulator (PSOI) structure to increase the operating frequency of the device. The use of the dummy gate induces another electric field peak in the structure, which increases the breakdown voltage of the transistor. It also improves the gate-drain feedback capacitance, the transconductance, and the ON-resistance of the device. For a LDD length of 3 µm, the breakdown voltage increases about 10%, the transconductance increases over 200%, and the ON-resistance decreases about 45%. When a LDD length of 10 µm is used, the increase in the breakdown voltage is 17%. In addition, we propose a breakdown voltage model for the structure, which may be used to optimize the design of the structure.
KeywordsBreakdown voltage Dummy gate LDMOSFET RESURF PSOI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.W. Ludikhuize, in Proceeding of the 12th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (Toulouse, France, May 22–25, 2000), p. 11.Google Scholar
- S. H. Kim, I. Y. Park, Y. I. Choi and S. K. Chung, J. Korean Phys. Soc. 39, S39 (2001).Google Scholar
- M. N. Marbell, S. V. Cherepko, J. C. M. Hwang, M. A. Shibib and W. R. Curtice, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 8, 193 (2008).Google Scholar
- A. A. Orouji, S. Sharbati and M. Fathipour, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 9, 449 (2009).Google Scholar
- F. Udrea, A. Popescu and W. Milne, in Proceeding of IEEE Int. SOI Conference (CA, USA, October 6–9, 1997), p. 102.Google Scholar
- Sentaurus Device, Two-dimensional Device Simulation Program (Synopsys, Mountain View, CA, 2005).Google Scholar
- S. Xu, F. Baiocchi, H. Safar, J. Lott, A. Shibib, Z. Xie, T. Nigam, B. Jones, B. Thompson, J. Desko and P. Gammel, in Proceeding the 15th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (Cambridge, UK, April 14–17, 2003), p. 190.Google Scholar