Effects of joint on dynamics of space deployable structure
Joints are necessary components in large space deployable truss structures which have significant effects on dynamic behavior of these joint dominated structures. Previous researches usually analyzed effects of one or fewer joint characters on dynamics of jointed structures. Effects of joint stiffness, damping, location, number, clearance and contact stiffness on dynamics of jointed structures are systematically analyzed. Cantilever beam model containing linear joints is developed based on finite element method, influence of joint on natural frequencies and mode shapes of the jointed system are analyzed. Analytical results show that frequencies of jointed system decrease dramatically when peak mode shapes occur at joint locations, and there are cusp shapes present in mode shapes. System frequencies increase with joint damping increasing, there are different joint damping to achieve maximum system damping for different joint stiffness. Joint nonlinear force-displacement is described by describing function method, one-DOF model containing nonlinear joints is established to analyze joints freeplay and hysteresis nonlinearities. Analysis results show that nonlinear effects of freeplay and hysteresis make dynamic responses switch from one resonance frequency to another frequency when amplitude exceed demarcation values. Joint contact stiffness determine degree of system nonlinearity, while exciting force level, clearance and slipping force affect amplitude of dynamic response. Dynamic responses of joint dominated deployable truss structure under different sinusoidal exciting force levels are tested. The test results show obvious nonlinear behaviors contributed by joints, dynamic response shifts to lower frequency and higher amplitude as exciting force increasing. The test results are further compared with analytical results, and joint nonlinearity tested is coincident with hysteresis nonlinearity. Analysis method of joint effects on dynamic characteristics of jointed system is proposed, which can be used in optimal design of joint parameters to achieve optimum dynamic performance of jointed system.
Key wordsdeployable structure joint dynamic mode shape experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- KIPER G, SOYLEMEZ E. Deployable space structures[C]// Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies, Istanbul, Turkey, June 11–13, 2009: 131–138.Google Scholar
- LAKE M S, WARREN P A, PETERSON L D. A revolute joint with linear load-displacement response for precision deployable structures[C]// Proceedings of 37th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1996.Google Scholar
- JEON S K. Characterization of hertzian rolling microslip in precision revolute joints for deployable space structures[D]. Boulder: University of Colorado, 2009.Google Scholar
- LAKE M S, FUNG J, GLOSS K, et al. Experimental characterization of hysteresis in a revolute joint for precision deployable structures[C]// Proceedings of 38th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 1997, AIAA-97-1379.Google Scholar
- DUTSON J D, FOLKMANA S L. A nonlinear finite element model of a truss using pinned joints[C]// Proceedings of 37th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference and Exhibit, Salt Lake City, UT, Reston, VA, 1996: 793–803.Google Scholar
- BOWDEN M L. Dynamics of space structures with nonlinear joints[D]. Boston: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988.Google Scholar
- WEBSTER M, VANDER V W. Modeling beam-like space trusses with nonlinear joints[C]// Proceedings of 32nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Baltimore, MD, USA, 1991: 2 745–2 754.Google Scholar
- STOHLMAN O R, PELLEGRINO S. Shape accuracy of a joint-dominated deployable mast[C]// Proceedings of 51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Orlando, Florida, April 12–15, 2010.Google Scholar
- STOHLMAN O R, PELLEGRINO S. Effects of component properties on the accuracy of a joint-dominated deployable mast[C]// Proceedings of 52nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Denver, Colorado, April 4–7, 2011.Google Scholar
- YAMADA K, TSUTSUMI Y J, YOSHIHARA M, et al. Integration and testing of large deployable reflector on ETS-VIII[C]// Proceedings of 21st International Communications Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit, Yokohama, Japan, 2003: 2 217.Google Scholar
- JOHN F S. Static stability of a three-dimensional space truss[C]// Proceedings of the XIII Space Photovoltaic Research and Technology Conference, NASA CP-3278, 1994.Google Scholar