A standardized set of 260 pictures for Turkish: Norms of name and image agreement, age of acquisition, visual complexity, and conceptual familiarity
- 737 Downloads
In the present study, normative data in Turkish are presented for the 260 color versions of the original Snodgrass and Vanderwart (1980) picture set for the first time. Norms are reported for name and image agreement, age of acquisition (AoA), visual complexity, and conceptual familiarity, together with written word frequency, and numbers of letters and syllables. We collected data from 277 native Turkish adults in a variety of tasks. The results indicated that, whilst several measures displayed language-specific variation, we also reported what seem to be language-independent—that is, universal—measures that show a systematic relationship across several languages. The implications of the reported measures in the domain of psycholinguistic research in Turkish and for wider cross-linguistic comparisons are discussed.
KeywordsTurkish Lexical processing Picture norms Cross-linguistic Age of acquisition Visual complexity Conceptual familiarity
We express our thanks to the participants who took part in the study voluntarily and to our research assistants Elif Çağatay, Önay Çiçek, Şerife Dilem, Bahire Güzer, Melis Singin, and Zehra Köseoğlu for their involvement in the data collection process.
- Aksan, Y., Aksan, M., Koltuksuz, A., Sezer, T., Mersinli, Ü., & Ufuk, U. (2012). Construction of the Turkish National Corpus (TNC). Paper presented at the Eighth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012), Istanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Alario, F.-X., & Ferrand, L. (1999). A set of 400 pictures standardized for French: Norms for name agreement, image agreement, familiarity, visual complexity, image variability, and age of acquisition. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 31, 531–552. doi: 10.3758/BF03200732 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bakhtiar, M., Nilipour, R., & Weekes, B. S. (2013). Predictors of timed picture naming in Persian. Behavior Research Methods. doi: 10.3758/s13428-012-0298-6
- Bonin, P., Peereman, R., Malardier, N., Méot, A., & Chalard, M. (2003). A new set of 299 pictures for psycholinguistic studies: French norms for name agreement, image agreement, conceptual familiarity, visual complexity, image variability, age of acquisition, and naming latencies. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 35, 158–167. doi: 10.3758/BF03195507 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nisi, M., Longoni, A. M., & Snodgrass, J. G. (2000). Italian measurement on the relation of name, familiarity, and acquisition age for the 260 figures of Snodgrass and Vanderwart. Giornale Italiano di Psicologia, 27, 205–218.Google Scholar
- Pind, J., Jónsdóttir, H., Gissurardóttir, H., & Jónsson, F. (2000). Icelandic norms for the Snodgrass and Vanderwart (1980) pictures: Name and image agreement, familiarity, and age of acquisition. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 41, 41–48. doi: 10.1111/1467-9450.00169 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sanfeliu, M. C., & Fernandez, A. (1996). A set of 254 Snodgrass–Vanderwart pictures standardized for Spanish: Norms for name agreement, image agreement, familiarity, and visual complexity. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 28, 537–555. doi: 10.3758/BF03200541 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shannon, C. E. (1949). The mathematical theory of communication. In C. E. Shannon & W. Weaver (Eds.), The mathematical theory of communication (pp. 29–125). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Székely, A., & Bates, E. (2000). Objective visual complexity as a variable in studies of picture naming. CRL Newsletter, 12, 3–33.Google Scholar
- Tsaparina, D., Bonin, P., & Méot, A. (2011). Russian norms for name agreement, image agreement for the colorized version of the Snodgrass and Vanderwart pictures and age of acquisition, conceptual familiarity, and imageability scores for modal object names. Behavior Research Methods, 43, 1085–1099. doi: 10.3758/s13428-011-0121-9 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar