In July 2009, the Center for Mental Health Research on AIDS at the National Institute of Mental Health organized and supported the meeting “NeuroAIDS in Africa.” This meeting was held in Cape Town, South Africa, and was affiliated with the 5th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. Presentations began with an overview of the epidemiology of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa, the molecular epidemiology of HIV, HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HANDs), and HAND treatment. These introductory talks were followed by presentations on HAND research and clinical care in Botswana, Cameroon, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Uganda, and Zambia. Topics discussed included best practices for assessing neurocognitive disorders, patterns of central nervous system (CNS) involvement in the region, subtype-associated risk for HAND, pediatric HIV assessments and neurodevelopment, HIV-associated CNS opportunistic infections and immune reconstitution syndrome, the evolving changes in treatment implementation, and various opportunities and strategies for NeuroAIDS research and capacity building in the region.
KeywordsHIV neurodevelopment neurology neuropsychology subtypes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antinori A, Arendt G, Becker JT, Brew BJ, Byrd DA, Cherner M, Clifford DB, Cinque P, Epstein LG, Goodkin K, Gisslen M, Grant I, Heaton RK, Joseph J, Marder K, Marra CM, McArthur JC, Nunn M, Price RW, Pulliam L, Robertson KR, Sacktor N, Valcour V, Wojna VE (2007). Updated research nosology for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders. Neurology 69: 1789–1799.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Descamps D, Collin G, Letourneur F, Apetrei C, Damond F, Loussert-Ajaka I, Simon F, Saragosti S, Brun-Vezinet F (1997). Susceptibility of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 group O isolates to antiretroviral agents: in vitro phenotypic and genotypic analyses. J Virol 71: 8893–8898.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gupta JD, Satishchandra P, Gopukumar K, Wilkie F, Waldrop-Valverde D, Ellis R, Ownby R, Subbakrishna DK, Desai A, Kamat A, Ravi V, Rao BS, Satish KS, Kumar M (2007). Neuropsychological deficits in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 clade C-seropositive adults from South India. J NeuroVirol 13: 195–202.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Laeyendecker O, Li X, Arroyo M, McCutchan F, Gray R, Wawer M, Serwadda D, Nalugoda F, Kigozi G, Quinn T, and Rakai Health Science Program (2006). 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; February 5–February 8, 2006; Denver, CO.Google Scholar
- LANL (2010). The circulating recombinant forms (CRFs). In: HIV Sequence Database. Los Alamos, NM: Los Alamos National Laboratory.Google Scholar
- WHO/UNAIDS (2008). Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic. Epub: http://www.unaids.org/en/KnowledgeCentre/ HIVData/GlobalReport/2008/2008_Global_report.aspGoogle Scholar