Calculation of Light Scattering on a Bragg Grating by Recursion of Transfer Matrices on a Nonuniform Grid
- 8 Downloads
The direct problem of light scattering for a fiber optic Bragg grating is considered. The formulation and solution of the problem based on the transfer-matrix method are discussed. A modification of the method is proposed which reduces it to a computationally convenient universal recursive algorithm similar to the Thomas algorithm. Using the finite volume method in the coupled-mode approximation, the elements of transfer matrices were calculated with local third-order accuracy in coordinate on a nonuniform computational grid. Numerical calculations for the direct scattering problem for a Bragg grating with apodization and nonlinear chirp were performed using the recursive algorithm. Numerical simulations confirmed the significant increase in the accuracy of calculations when solving the scattering problem on a nonuniform grid.
Keywordsfiber Bragg grating scattering problem transfer-matrix method recursive algorithm nonuniform grid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. N. Kul’chin, Distributed Fiber Optic Systems (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.R. Kashyap, Fiber Bragg Gratings (Academic Press, New York, 1999).Google Scholar
- 4.L. F. Mollenauer and J. Gordon, Solitons in Optical Fiber (Academic Press, New York, 2006).Google Scholar
- 7.S. A. Babin, A. A. Vlasov, S. I. Kablukov, and I. S. Shelemba, “Sensor System Based on Fiber-Optic Bragg Gratings,” Vestn. NGU. Ser. Fizika, 2 (3), 54–57 (2007).Google Scholar
- 12.L. M. Brekhovskikh, Waves in Layered Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1973) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 16.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Theoretical Physics Vol. VIII. Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 18.E. F. Pen, M. Yu. Rodionov, and P. A. Chubakov, “Spectral Properties of a Cascade of Holographic Reflection Gratings Separated by a Uniform Layer,” Avtometriya 53 (1), 73–82 (2017) [Optoelecton., Instrum. Data Process. 53 (1), 59–67 (2017)].Google Scholar
- 19.V. P. Il’in, Finite Difference and Finite Volume Methods for Elliptic Equations (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 2001) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 22.V. P. Il’in and Yu. I. Kuznetsov, Three-Diagonal Matrices and Their Applications (Nauka, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 24.O. V. Belai, E. V. Podivilov, L. L. Frumin, and D. A. Shapiro, “Stability of the Numerical Reconstruction of Fiber Bragg Gratings,” Opt. Spektr. 105 (1), 114–121 (2008).Google Scholar
- 25.O. V. Belai, E. V. Podivilov, L. L. Frumin, and D. A. Shapiro, “Inverse Scattering Problem for theWave Equation of a One-Dimensional Inhomogeneous Medium,” Avtometriya 45 (6), 69–77 (2009) [Optoelecton., Instrum. Data Process. 45 (6), 546–553 (2009)].Google Scholar