Investigation of aqueous ethanol combustion in the reciprocating internal combustion engine
- 80 Downloads
The results of an experimental research, conducted to study a possibility of reducing nitrogen oxide emission in the reciprocating internal combustion engine (ICE) at the combustion mode close to stoichiometric one by increasing the water content in the aqueous ethanol solution are presented. It has been established that as the water quantity in aqueous ethanol grows, a 30-fold reduction in the nitrogen oxides emission level is achieved without a drop in the engine power-to-weight ratio.
Keywordscombustion aqueous ethanol toxicity nitrogen oxides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beyerlein, S., McIlroy, D., Blackketter, D., Steciak, J., Clarke, E., and Morton, A., Homogeneous Charge Combustion of Aqueous Ethanol, National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology University of Idaho., URL: ntl.bts.gov/data/letter_ak/KLK316.pdf.
- 2.Cordon, D., Clarke, E., Beyerlein, S., Steciak, J., and Cherry, M., Catalytic Igniter to Support Combustion of Ethanol-Water/Air Mixtures in Internal Combustion Engines, Society of Automotive Engineers, URL: papers.sae.org/2002-01-2863.
- 3.Garipov, M.D., Garipov K.N., and Khafizov, A.G., Spark Ignition under Conditions of Deep Air-Fuel Charge Stratification in the ICE Combustion Chamber, Vestnik UGATU, 2007, vol. 9, no. 6 (24), pp. 114–120.Google Scholar
- 4.Mack, J.H., Flowers, D.L., Aceves, S.M., and Dibble R.W., Direct Use of Wet Ethanol in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine: Experimental and Numerical Results, 2007 Fall Meeting of the Western States Section of the Combustion Institute. URL: escholarship.org/uc/item/6cd5b6vq.
- 5.Enikeev, R.D. and Garipov, M.D., Work Process of Prospective Reciprocating ICE, Vestnik UGATU, 2006, vol. 7, no. 3 (16), pp. 12–22.Google Scholar