Peculiarities of distribution and transformation of water in the Keret’ River tidal estuary
- 23 Downloads
Presented are the results of the study of the processes of interaction between the river and sea water in the estuary of the Keret’ River flowing into the White Sea. The studies were carried out using the georadar method which enables one to register the boundary between fresh and salt water with the high spatial and temporal resolution. The use of this method helped to determine the boundaries of the area of distribution of fresh water in the estuary during different phases of the tidal cycle and to reveal the typical fluctuations of the boundary between fresh and salt water manifested at different values of river runoff and weather conditions.
KeywordsRadar River Estuary Salt Water Tidal Cycle River Runoff
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Yu. Bobrov, S. S. Krylov, E. Yu. Kiselev, et al., “The Use of Georadiolocation in Hydrology,” Zapiski Gornogo Instituta, 183 (2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.M. L. Vladov and A. V. Starovoitov, Introduction to Georadiolocation (Moscow State Univ., Moscow, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.Yu. S. Dolotov, V. N. Kovalenko, V. Kh. Livshits, et al., “On the Dynamics of Water and Suspension in the Keret’ River Estuary (Karelian Coast of the White Sea),” Okeanologiya, No. 5, 42 (2002) [Oceanology, No. 5, 42 (2002)].Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. P. Doronin, Oceanography of Shelf Zone (Russ. State Hydrometeorol. Univ., St. Petersburg, 2007) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.V. V. Ionov, R. I. Mai, S. S. Krylov, et al., “Study of Distribution and Transformation of River Water in Tidal Estuary,” in Proceedings of International Conference “Environmental Safety of Coastal Regions (Ports, Coast Protection, Recreation, and Mariculture),” June 5–8, 2012, Rostov-on-Don.Google Scholar
- 6.V. V. Ionov, R. E. Smagin, G. V. Pryakhina, and I. V. Fedorova, “Studying the Mixing Zones in the Keret’ River Estuary of the White Sea,” Izv. Russkogo Geograficheskogo Obshchestva, No. 2, 141 (2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.S. S. Krylov, N. Yu. Bobrov, E. Yu. Kiselev, et al., “The Use of Georadar Technology for Studying Dynamical Processes in Estuary Zones,” Trudy GOIN, No. 213 (2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.M. I. Finkel’shtein, V. A. Kutev, and V. P. Zolotarev, The Use of Radar Subsurface Sounding in Engineering Geology (Nedra, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar