A comparison of time-average power losses in insulated-gate bipolar transistors and hybrid SIT–MOS–transistors
- 18 Downloads
Switching of equivalent silicon insulated-gate bipolar transistors, such as carrier-stored trenchgate bipolar transistors (CSTBTs) and hybrid static induction transistor/metal–oxide–semiconductor (SIT–MOS) thyristors (HSMTs), from a blocking state to a conducting state and vice versa is numerically simulated in two dimensions. It is shown that on–off switching losses in an HSMT are greater than in a fully equivalent CSTBT. Thus, time-average power P that dissipates in an HSMT becomes smaller than the power in the equivalent CSTBTh only at a long current pulse duration. However, a decrease in lifetime τ0 of nonequilibrium charge carriers in an SIT makes it possible to significantly reduce HSMT switching losses while maintaining its advantage in the on state. Consequently, for each set of CSTBT parameters, such τ0, it can be selected in the almost equivalent HSMT that power P dissipating in the HSMT will be smaller than the power in the equivalent CSTBT in any given range of amplitude J a and duration T on of the current pulses.
Keywordsinsulated-gate bipolar transistors static induction thyristors static and switching characteristics average power loss comparative analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Takahashi, H., et al., Carrier stored trench-gate bipolar transistor (CSTBT)—a novel power device for high voltage application, Proc. 8th Int. Symp. on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, Maui, 1996, pp. 349–352.Google Scholar
- 2.Bonomorskii, O.I. and Voronin, P.A., RF Patent 2199795, Byull. Izobret., 2003, no. 6.Google Scholar
- 3.Bonomorskii, O., Voronin, P., Kukanov, V., and Shchepkin, N., Comparative experimental researches of IGBT modules and modules based on SIT-MOP transistors, Komponenty Tekhnol.: Silovaya Elektron., 2004, no. 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Bonomorskii, O., Voronin, P., Kukanov, V., and Shchepkin, N., The way to research blocking processes at combined transistors, Komponenty Tekhnol.: Silovaya Elektron., 2004, no. 8.Google Scholar
- 6.Broich, B., Gobrecht, J., and Roggwiller, P., US Patent 4,768,075, Aug. 30, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Bonomorskii, O.I. and Voronin, P.A., RF Patent 2268545, Byull. Izobret., 2006, no. 2.Google Scholar
- 8.Voronin, P.A., Voronin, I.P., and Shchepkin, N.P., RF Patent 74534, Byull. Izobret., 2008, no. 18.Google Scholar
- 11.Cheng, K., Udrea, F., and Amaratunga, G.A.J., Optimum carrier distribution of the IGBT, Solid-State Electron., 2000, vol. 44, no. 9.Google Scholar
- 12.Gorbatyuk, A.V. and Grekhov, I.V., Is it possible to lower dynamical losses at switching-off powerful bipolar switchers with distributed microgates, Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 2008, vol. 34, no. 10.Google Scholar