Laser technologies for processing wide band-gap semiconductors and insulators: Nonlinear absorption mechanisms
- 60 Downloads
The results of the theoretical study of damage and nonlinear light absorption mechanisms in transparent materials, i.e., wide band-gap semiconductors and insulators, are presented. It is shown that ablation processes in transparent materials exposed to laser pulses with intensity of the order of tens of TW/cm2 and pulse duration of the order of hundreds femtoseconds are efficient for various surface treatment technologies. The mechanism of tunneling nonlinear light absorption is studied. Ablation thresholds of GaN and other transparent materials such as sapphire (Al2O3), vitreous SiO2, and the same SiO2 with Ge impurity are determined. It is found that the ablation threshold depends on the band gap (absorption band edge) E g as E g 3 , which is in good agreement with experiment.
Keywordsablation nonlinear absorptions epitaxial layer transparent material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. G. Eliseev, I. N. Zavestovskaya, and S. N. Sokolov, “Degradation Processes in Optoelectronic Devices,” in Problems of Semiconductor Physics. Materials for Semiconductor Electronics (Leningrad, 1982), pp. 97–142 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Turkin, in Proceedings of the Symposium on Coherent Optical Radiation of Semiconductor Compounds and Structures, Zvenigorod, 2007 (RIIS FIAN, Moscow, 2007), p. 145.Google Scholar
- 5.I. N. Zavestovskaya, P. G. Eliseev, O. N. Krokhin, “Analysis of the mechanisms of light beam absorption in transparent materials under ultrashort pulses laser action,” in Book of Abstracts of the 16th International Laser Physics Workshop, Leon, Mexico, 2007 (Moscow University Press, 2007), p. 159.Google Scholar
- 10.L. V. Keldysh, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 47, 1945 (1964).Google Scholar
- 12.L. Keldysh, “Multiphoton Excitation of Semiconductors by Very Short Pulses” (private communication), (2000).Google Scholar
- 13.P.G. Eliseev, N. A. Kozlovskaya, O. N. Krokhin, and I.N. Zavestovskaya, AIPConf.Proc. 1278, 143 (2010).Google Scholar
- 16.M. V. Ammosov, N. B. Delone, and V. P. Krainov, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 91, 2008 (1986) [Sov. Phys. JETP 64, 1191 (1986)].Google Scholar