Criteria for selecting electrons with energies above 50 GeV according to the PAMELA experiment data
To separate the particles such as electrons and positrons, which are insignificant in number, from the total particle flux of cosmic rays, reliable enough criteria of their selection should be found. The proposed selection technique based on such criteria as the interaction in the first calorimeter layers, difference in the energy release for protons and electrons, and the measured number of neutrons makes it possible to separate electrons from the total charged particle flux with an impurity fraction no larger than 2% of the electron flux.
Keywordscosmic rays neutrons energy spectrum electrons and positrons
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. I. Ermakov and Yu. I. Stozhkov, Kratkie Soobshcheniya po Fizike FIAN, No. 3, 9 (2003) [Bulletin of the Lebedev Physics Institute, No. 3, 6 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 3.A. Lane and R. Thomas, Theory of Nuclear Reactions at Low Energies (Inostr. Lit., Moscow, 1960) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.J. Levinger, Photonuclear Reactions (Inostr. Lit., Moscow, 1962) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.V. S. Murzin, Cosmic Ray Physics (MGU, Moscow, 1970) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. M. Shirokov and N. P. Yudin, Nuclear Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].Google Scholar