Cosmic rays as a new instrument of seismological studies
- 44 Downloads
The state of the art of the short-termearthquake prediction problemis considered. A new method for monitoring the 3D stress state in the earthquake-prone zone using high-energy muons in cosmic rays and simultaneous measurements of acoustic and seismic signals in the frequency range from 1 Hz to 1–2 kHz is proposed. To implement this method, muons should be detected simultaneously with extensive air showers in an area of several square kilometers.
Keywordscosmic muons high-frequency seismic noise monitoring 3D stress state prediction earthquake precursors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. L. Gufeld and M. I. Matveeva, Dokl. Akad. Nauk 438(2), 253 (2011) [Doklady Earth Sciences 438, 677 (2011)].Google Scholar
- 2.G. A. Sobolev, Fundamentals of Earthquake Prediction (Nauka, Moscow, 1993) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.V. A. Tsarev and V. A. Chechin, Preprint No. 179 (Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow, 1988).Google Scholar
- 5.V. G. Bondur and A. T. Zverev, Dokl. Akad. Nauk 402, 98 (2005).Google Scholar
- 6.N. N. Kalmykov, S. S. Ostapchenko, and A. I. Pavlov, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk Ser. Fiz. 58(12), 21 (1994).Google Scholar